Tuesday 21 August 2012

The odd one out


I went over to Dawlish Warren yesterday. There were lots of terns about, but try as I might I couldn't turn any of them into anything more exotic than the Sandwich or Common variety.

Tern posts
There were also lots of Oystercatchers, although one of them was definitely having an identity crisis!

A leucistic Oystercatcher (an abnormal plumage condition caused by a genetic mutation)
Other birds included  Whimbrel, Turnstone, Dunlin & one distant lonely Grey Plover looking good in Summer plumage. I almost stood on a Snipe whilst walking passed the little reedy pond in the dunes, I'm not sure which of us was more shocked.

There was quite a bit of activity in the woods although I struggled to identify some of the birds as they were flitting about in the foliage, but I did manage to snap a photo of a Garden Warbler

Garden Warbler
I saw lots of butterflies, most numerous being Meadow Browns. I came across a Small Copper, I've seen them a few times before but had forgotten just how small they are. I also saw a Silver-studded Blue, which is a new one for me.

Meadow Brown

Small Copper
Silver-studded Blue
Quite a few areas of the reserve were cordoned off with blue string, held up by thin wooden posts. These were providing handy perches for the Dragonflies out enjoying the sunshine.

Common Darter


No comments:

Post a Comment