Saturday 6 April 2013

Ring Ouzel



There's been a Ring Ouzel at Bystock for a few days, which is actually on my 'patch', so yesterday I decided it was about time I made the effort to go & look for it. It turned out to be quite a social visit as when I arrived fellow Devon Birders Jonathan & Carol were there already, and Carol's husband Dave joined us a bit later having gone home for his camera. The Ring Ouzel was in the meadow just opposite the car park, ferreting about in the grass. The only other Ring Ouzel I've seen in the UK was last April, when I had a fleeting glimpse of one flying between bushes at Portland. This was so much better! I decided to get the Canon from the van & try for a photo as the bird was quite close, at which point someone sounded their horn in the lane & the Ouzel flew down to the bottom of the meadow. Although we had great views, it never came quite as close again, so I only managed the usual distant record shots. I couldn't even try for a digiscoped shot as I'd forgotten my Lumix. At least I can prove I saw it.

Also present were 2 Mistle Thrushes, Song Thrush, Meadow Pipit, Wheatear & Stonechat.

Proof!
Size comparison with Mistle Thrush



No comments:

Post a Comment