Monday 18 February 2013

Pied-billed Grebe


On Saturday we'd planned a trip to Shepton Mallet so that Simon could go to the Classic bike show at the Bath & West Showground.  I hadn't decided what I'd do whilst he was in there until I checked Birdguides just before we left home. A Pied-billed Grebe had appeared at Ham Wall RSPB 30 mins away from the show, so that was my day sorted as it's a bird I've only ever seen in the USA. I dropped Simon off & headed to the reserve, making my way straight to the 2nd viewing platform. There were quite a few people there but the Grebe had disappeared behind the reeds just before I arrived. It was a lovely morning & I was in no hurry, so I was quite happy to wait. It was only about 15 minutes before the Pied-billed Grebe appeared & gave us excellent views, coming in close to the viewing platform. I'd forgotten my camera so couldn't even try for a record shot, but at least I had my phone with me.

My first Twitch of 2013....I feel better for a 'fix'!
There was also a Great White Egret visible from the 1st viewing platform. Last year we made a special trip on 17th Feb for the Great White Egret, not knowing that I'd be seeing loads during the year.

I've been out on my patch quite a bit recently, although I haven't seen a lot. Trips to the Otter Estuary,  Exmouth front, Orcombe Point & Sandy Bay have increased my Patch List to a still measly 59.

No comments:

Post a Comment